Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Lord of Misrule by Jaimy Gordon

I like to read a horse racing book every year during Triple Crown Season. Lord of Misrule won a National Book Award so I thought it would be a good choice.

Although this is a fiction story, I think it gives you an idea of what horse racing is really like if you're not Bob Baffert or Todd Pletcher. Overall I liked this story of racing people and life in their barns, but I had a little hangup. Every other chapter was written in second-person narrative. Those chapters were really about the creepy racehorse owner/bad boyfriend of the groom, and I didn't like being "you" when it was him. It made me feel like I was reading a Choose Your Own Adventure, but without the choices.

It wasn't the best or the worst book I read last year, so you can choose for yourself if you think this book will be a good reading adventure.

P.S. This book counts for my Sports category of the 2015 Eclectic Reader Challenge.

No comments: