Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Something Missing by Matthew Dicks

I just read Something Missing with my book club. It's a good example of why I love my book club: I probably never would have picked out this book on my own, but it has exposed me to an author that I think is going to be a favorite!

Martin is a thief. He's different from other thieves because he breaks into the same houses repeatedly to steal things he thinks the owners won't notice are missing, such as a roll of toilet paper or a scoop of laundry detergent. It was fun for me to read about how he methodically catalogues the items in his "clients'" homes and the thing he takes. A part of me wishes I could be as OCD as him.

One member of my book club disliked Martin because she said he's just a criminal, but I grew to love Martin because he believed to have relationships with the homeowners even though he never met them, and he even cared about their lives. I love a story that makes you root for the bad guy.

This was truly a unique and exciting story. You should read it if you're ready for Something Different.

P.S. This book counts as my Book with a Walking or Standing Figure on the Cover for the Take It or Leave It Challenge.

No comments: