Monday, December 30, 2013

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

Haruki Murakami is one of my favorite authors and Norwegian Wood did not disappoint me. It is a coming of age story and love story all wrapped up into one.

This book is the namesake of Norwegian Wood by The Beatles so I made a point to listen to the song before I began reading. It really set the tone. Toru is a young man going to college while managing his unrequited love of Naoko. She was his best friend's girlfriend when he committed suicide. While their connection to his friend brings them together it also keeps them apart. And like all of Murakami's books I feel like that's about all I can say without spoiling your own journey if you choose to read this book.

One surprise for me was that it was unlike the other Murakami books I've read so far. There weren't any talking cats or wells with time travel. It was a straightforward story but beautifully told. It's one of my favorite books I read this year so I think you should read it too! There are also a ton of songs from the 60s mentioned, which inspired me to make a killer playlist that coincides with the book.

For your listening pleasure:

For your gazing pleasure, artwork inspired by the book:

Norwegian Wood is by 99styler.
Norwegian Wood by Megan Barron.

P.S. This books counts as my Translated Fiction (translated by Jay Rubin) for the Eclectic Reader Challenge.

No comments: