Friday, December 20, 2013

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Every year before winter break I read How the Grinch Stole Christmas to my class. The first graders like it so much they don't interrupt or fidget. Maybe because Seuss wrote for first graders, or maybe because I use my years of theatre and teaching to make it extra theatrical, the kids have no option but to sit there and take it all in.

Yesterday I read it with my usual gusto. Sometimes I get a little winded while reading it but yesterday I powered through without any problems, and even felt my own heart growing a few sizes by the end. When I finished reading my kids started clapping passionately, as they only do when they really love a story. That made me feel pretty good but then I saw one of the girls crying with happiness!!! I've never made anyone cry with my reading superpowers before. I felt like a rock star.

But I think I'll stick to teaching!

P.S. Cindy Lou Bullywho and the Bullygrinch is by Mike Holzer.

No comments: