Saturday, July 27, 2013

in love

I fell a little short of my goal to create 14 wedding scrapbook pages before the end of summer but I squeezed 1 more in during a night of scrapping with Angi! I know you see 2 pages here but I'm only counting it as 1 because the right page is about Corey's great grandparents' wedding.
Luckily for me Corey's dad was really into genealogy for a long time so when I was scrapping our trip to Chautauqua a few years ago he dug out a bunch of memorabilia for me pertaining to the nuptials of Corey's great grandparents in 1924. Not only did he share the page of genealogy about his grandfather, but he also scanned and printed their engagement picture, wedding announcement from the newspaper, a telegram from the bride's aunt and uncle, and railroad tickets to Niagara Falls for their honeymoon. Score!
I discovered a weird coincidence: we got married almost the same day as them 75 years later, and in an Episcopal church as well. They were married June 25, 1924 and left for their honeymoon on the 26th, which is the day we got married.

The top picture is of our 2007 visit to the church where they got married, and the bottom picture is from our wedding in 1999.

I put off making these pages because I couldn't decide whether to use a heritage theme or how to put everything together. Spurred on by my goal I just went for it, selecting distressed-looking patterned paper with only scraps for accents to keep the focus on the items of significance. When I cut out the honeymoon tickets I did it by hand to follow the tears and make them look more like originals. I love the stamps on the back with the date. I trimmed some of the border off a postcard and included it to show the location of their engagement picture.

I love the bride's scallop-edged dress, so I salvaged some scallop-edged scraps for accents, used scallop-edged cardstock to accent our wedding picture, and trimmed the genealogy page with decorative scissors.

I feel so fortunate to have copies of these pieces of family history, and that I have them displayed now where people can see them in the future.

P.S. I have completed 11/14 pages about our wedding. I doubt I will make 3 more pages this weekend but I might try.

2 comments:

auntangi said...

Nicole this is so beautiful! I enjoyed watching you put it together and am incredibly impressed by the final product.

Robinsen Clerk said...

Thank you for being such a great leader. The other team members and I are really inspired by your actions.