Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper

My friend Angi insisted I borrow this book. I've had it for quite some time because I felt like it was too soon to read after Jersey died. If you've read enough pet stories you know how they always end, right?!

I chose this book for my TBR Challenge so I could force myself to finally read it and return it. She loaned it to me on October 14, 2009 after all. I'm so pleased that I did finally take her advice and read it because it's a real feel-good story.

Gwen rescues Homer as a kitten from a vet who's removed his eyes after the people who originally owned him were going to put him to sleep because he had an eye disease. It is amazing to read how easily he navigates through life and incredible to read all of the super-cool things he can do in spite of/because of his blindness.

There's also a chapter about September 11th. Gwen was living a few blocks from the World Trade Center when it happened. Reading about how she couldn't get back to her cats after the crisis is gut-wrenching.

If you like animal stories check it out!

I also noticed that I accidentally went from reading a story about a blind man named Homer straight to a story about a blind cat named Homer. Weird.

And here's a gratuitous Jersey cat picture, taken by my fabulous sister-in-law:

We still miss you Jersey!

No comments: