Sunday, September 19, 2010

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

I chose this book for my Colorful Reading Challenge (it's 5/9) and I'm so glad I did. It was easy to escape in this sweet story about friendship, family, love, and overcoming racism and hardship.

The story begins in 1929 in Whistle Stop, Alabama and centers around the Threadgoode family, in particular 2 lesbians, Idgie and Ruth, that run the Whistle Stop Cafe. It is told in the 80s from Idgie's sister-in-law's (Mrs. Threadgoode's) perspective, as she recounts anecdotes from her day to a woman (Evelyn) escaping visits with her mother-in-law in a nursing home. As Mrs. Threadgoode shares her memories with Evelyn each Sunday, it somehow begins helping Evelyn with her own midlife crisis.

Also sprinkled throughout are witty local news blurbs from the Whistle Stop bulletin, and at the end of the book there are real recipes for all the delicious food you could have had at the Whistle Stop Cafe. Too bad I don't cook.

If you're looking for a feel-gooder, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe will feed your soul.

Now I'm ready to rent the movie. Also, Fannie Flagg's birthday is on Tuesday. She'll turn 66.

3 comments:

lisa :) said...

I loved this book and the movie too! I saw the movie first and several years later a friend lent me a different book by Fannie Flagg. I read it and really liked it and then realized that she also wrote FGT, which I then HAD to read!

lisa :) said...

P.S. Happy (Belated) Talk Like A Pirate Day!

Becca said...

I will keep this in mind when I need a good pick me up. Thanks!