Tuesday, April 13, 2010

3 Books I Should Love, But Actually Hate


This week Lost in Books would like to know what books I didn't like, perhaps so other people can avoid them too. Here they are in random order:

1. "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - I can't quite pinpoint what made me dislike this book so much. It bored me: probably because there was too much description. I also hated how it ended.

2. "The Scarlet Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne - I didn't like the main character and couldn't understand why she wouldn't just out the priest that knocked her up. Boring. (I recently learned that Louisa May Alcott was friends with Nathaniel Hawthorne. I much prefer "Little Women"!)

3. "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert - I can't understand why people love this book so much. The author divorces her husband and gets to check out of life for a year to travel and deal with it. Wow, I feel so bad for you. Stop whining. Luckily a lot of my friends hated this book too, so we get to trash it together.

P.S. I did not take that picture and I don't know who did.

4 comments:

stephanie said...

I like your photo acknowledgement.

I didn't mind the Scarlett Letter, but hated Eat, Pray, Love.

stephanie said...

PS - I should learn how to spell Scarlet.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I hated Eat, Pray, Love too! But everyone I talked to about it loved it. I couldn't get over the feeling that she was just whining about everything.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't especially fond of Love in the Time of Cholera, either. I picked it up because I lovelovelove 100 Years of Solitude, but it didn't do a whole lot for me.

I adored Eat, Pray, Love, though! XD