Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Charles should feel like family now.


I seem to usually get birthday cards, birthday packages, and birthday wishes out late, so Charles Darwin can now call himself an honorary member of my family. Happy belated 200th birthday, Charles.

On the morning of his birthday I listened to a compelling story about him on NPR on my way to work. I wanted to listen to the end so badly that I stayed in my car in the parking lot at school to hear it, risking entering a meeting late. I was on time anyway, and by the way, it was the worst meeting ever. Now looking back I should have just stayed in Carmione and skipped the meeting completely.


What I wanted to know was if the woman telling the story was pimping a Darwin biography because I wanted more! She wasn't officially pimping, I suppose. The title of the book is never mentioned on the NPR website. I used my sleuthing skills and figured it out anyway. Yay!

So you should listen to the story too. It's only 7 minutes and 46 seconds long.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=100597929&sc=emaf

Also, has anyone read a good Darwin biography you would like to recommend to me?

2 comments:

stephanie said...

Charles.

martha miller said...

i heard only the beginning of that on the radio and i too had to get out of the car and wanted to stay and listen to the end ~ thanks for the link, nick!
don't know a good bio, but just a little aside ~ my grandson brey shares darwin's birthday and he is such a little scientist and nature lover!