Saturday, January 24, 2009

Today we went to Comicon.


Lou Ferrigno was there. He still looks strong enough to lift a car over his head and throw it. I loved watching The Incredible Hulk when I was a kid. It was kind of surreal seeing him sitting there. I kept waiting for him to turn green and smash the table in half. Too bad it was $30 for an autograph and a picture.

My favorite part was seeing so many of the attendees dressed up. Most of them wore costumes and accessories they made themselves, of characters I did not know. There were several Jokers a la Heath Ledger, with messed up make-up wearing nurses uniforms. Scary. It made me feel happy though that all of these people had a place to go and be these other people without being looked at weirdly and, conversely, be revered. A lot of them were teenagers. At one point we were outside and there were hundreds of teenagers sitting around the lawn area in their un-vogue outfits. It made me feel like we were at the world's strangest high school, where everyone in their uniqueness fit in.

My favorite was a woman who was probably in her 80s walking around with a walker dressed up like Wonder Woman. She even wore blue shorts with stars on them. I pumped my fist in the air in my mind. Yes! I hope I remember to still be fun when I'm her age.

No comments: